Board Meeting: 6/5/2017

Taz Meeting in Attendance 6/5/2017: Laurissa, Stacia, Diana, Kui, Andy, Carlos, Dee

 

  • MONEY
    • $7000
    • $2000 donation coming in later from Aunty & McKesson dollar for dollar
    • $1700 trailer repairs
    • 160 Leis need to be delivered, hopefully by Ironman champs
      • Need help with making leis
      • Making bags for quick making
      • June 17
    • Diana: $150 booth for Iron champs, over $600 made from Crystal Pier
    • Make candy leis
    • Andy: $150 made off of the Not Vodka bottles, add to website?
    • MOTION: BUY Tires needed for the trailer
      • $150- Per tire

 

  • Boat Maintenance
    • Kui: Ka Ikena has a major hole under seat 5 from transportation
      • Sand & fiberglass needed
      • June 8 repair
    • Might need to reserve canoes for Iron Champs

 

  • Coach & Race
    • Personal goals to head coach
      • Give coach a schedule so he knows for practice for Iron Champs
    • Checkout Cali Paddler podcast for coaching and inspirational talks
    • Ironman race for now
    • Lake Havasu or ocean big paddle in the middle of July
    • MOTION: Make a set schedule for each individual race for racers
      • Organized TAZ schedule per race
      • Print out race packet for TAZ novice

 

  • Next Meeting
    • July 5th Hula’s Modern Tiki

Board Meeting 5/1/2017

TAZ Board Meeting, Monday, 5/1/17

Attendance: Jose, Jeff Leonard, Diana, Kui, Stacia, Andy, Carlos

 

CRYSTAL PIER

  • All racers have paid race fees
  • MOTION: Email needs to be sent out
    • Race information
    • Booth sign up
    • Accommodations
    • What to bring for the day – towels, chairs, jacket, sunscreen, food to share
    • Board/coach contact list
    • Sunday paddle – who will be staying in town
    • Racers must have signed into SCORA site before race day
  • Wahine short-course crew needs to do the huli drill and complete it correctly since some struggled during the first huli drill. Need to make sure safety is the priority
  • Equipment lists for race
    • Jose/Kui – needs for canoes
    • Andy – race day needs
    • Diana – vendor booth needs
  • Taking 2 canoes to the race: Ka Ikena & Uhane Makaha

Equipment Needs

  • MOTION: Need to purchase 6 – 3 gal buckets, bristle brushes, bearing grease.

Lei Stand

  • Booth will be open 7AM-5PM
  • Friday evening setup, only tent and table
  • Saturday morning set up is 6AM
  • Raffle donation – 3 leis and water bottle

 

Upcoming Races – MDR, Iron Champs

  • Remind racers to make hotel arrangements

 

FUNDRAISING

4th of July volunteering

  • Board decided not to officially participate this year as volunteers. If members decide they want to volunteer, they can earn $10 per hour per volunteer for the team.

Mini Iron Man

  • Bike direction – will provide information to the team when race gets closer

Full Iron Man

  • Will continue to manage 3 Stations
  • Stacia will find out if we can manage the run station inside of the marina

Poker

  • Still looking for venue, looking at Culinary Dropout
  • Looking to do fundraiser in July
  • Probably get from 30-50 people

Other Fundraisers

  • Aunty Aloha FB page – not going to do any additional promotion, just leaving it as is for now
  • Leonard’s going to talk to Merrily about being fundraising chair

 

FINANCES

  • Current BALANCE: $10,474.89
  • Upcoming Expenses
    • Hull Insurance – $654
    • SCORA Insurance – $2000 estimate
    • Trailer repair – $2,100 – $2,500 – Board Approved
      • Will look at adding brakes later
      • May 22 drop off May 31 pickup
    • Andy working on fixing 2nd dolly – $100 for axles  – Board Approved
    • Team tent/canopy – $200
    • Adjustable paddles
      • Buying 1 keiki / 1 adult to see how they work

 

CANOES

Boat maintenance day – Saturday, 5/6/17

  • Detail wash of all canoes
  • Sand down rough spots in 2 canoes we’re taking for race
  • Install rails on canoes
  • Test fit skirts
  • Add/update numbers to canoes – need to be 6 inches/height and 1 inch stroke width
  • Graphics for Ka Ikena

Paint

  • After race, need to contact Mr. Painter about cracking paint
  • Need to remind team to not pick at paint cracks, will put clear gorilla tape

Weights

  • Race as spec, no weights

 

MISC ITEMS

Weekend meeting

  • Got the history on Virginia – made from a mold of a Koa boat. 6th oldest fiberglass canoe

Hawaii race

  • Will follow up with team after Crystal Pier race about Pailolo interest

Saguaro Lake practice

  • Will send out notice about Saguaro practice on 5/20/17

Practice schedule

  • Race crews only for Tuesdays

 

Board meeting ended at 8:20pm. Next meeting is Monday, 6/5/17

Board Meeting Notes 4/2/2017

Members in attendance: Dee, Larissa, Stacia, Leonardo, Kui, Val, Diana, Jose, Andy, Carlos

  1. MONEY
    1. Current status of the bank account
      1. Diana explaining the numbers – we currently have $9,097.37 in our accounts
      2. Insurance needs to be paid.
        1. Kui & Diana said Las Vegas paddlers that race will under be under TAZ so we will need to collect money to cover them under our SCORA insurance.
        2. Leonard will get a copy of the invoice to Diana for payment/records
      3. Larissa, Kui, Andy: Trailer Cost
        1. Andy & Kui will coordinate getting the trailer to the vendor so work and final quote can be done this week.
      4. Kui: We built new cradles
      5. Andy: Do we need to buy skirts?
        1. Board discussion about type of skirt options, using velcro vs. rails
        2. Val reminded us that we are required by SCORA to have skirts for the boats we will be using for racing.
        3. Kui will reach out to one of the hawaiian clubs about skirt recommendations
        4. Will make sure we have skirts for 2 canoes
      6. Makaha & Ka Ikena will be used for Crystal Pier.
        1. Discussion about using Ma Poina instead of Makaha
      7. Makaha needs to have the interior of the canoe fixed
        1. A motion was made and a Yes vote was made to have the boat automatically fixed if the cost was $200 or less
        2. Jose will coordinate with Ric to do the repairs
  2. FUNDRAISING
    1. Poker Tournament
      1. Task – Andy still needs to reach out to his contact about space availability
      2. Discussion to happen at next board meeting
    2. Mini Ironman volunteering
      1. Stacia is the point person. She will reach out to Ironman to get more details and will update once she has more information
      2. Date of event is October 22, 2017. We made $650 for this event last year.
      3. Board agreement – we will participate in this event in 2017
    3. 4th of July volunteer
      1. Board discussion about whether we think this is an event we want to continue. We need to let Kiwanis Club know by 4/28/17 if we will be volunteering or not
      2. Details will be sent out to club to gauge interest, response needed by 4/21/17
    4. ALOHA FESTIVAL
      1. $695 made from booth sales and raffle ticket sales
    5. CRYSTAL PIER
      1. We have signed up to have a vendor booth at the Crystal Pier race and will be selling leis, hats, and Not Vodka water bottles.
      2. Will need volunteers to help man the booth – details will be sent in team email
      3. We need to get leis made
        1. Lei making party at Diana & Kui’s house will be Saturday, May 6, 2017
        2. Diana will put together lei kits to hand out so members can make leis at home
      4. Board agreement on lei pricing – 1 lei for $10, 2 leis for $15 and 6 leis for  $40
      5. Question came up about needing a resale license. Diana confirmed we do not since we’re a non-profit
  3. BOATS AND EQUIPMENT
    1. Canoe maintenance
      1. Discussion about what still needs to be done with the Virginia.
      2. Maintenance will be put on hold so members can focus on training for upcoming race season
      3. Discussion about paint issues on Makaha and Ka Ikena. Kui will reach out to Mr Painter to determine what we need to do.
    2. Tents
      1. Discussion around purchase of team tents and requirements.
      2. Board agreement – tents don’t need to have logo.
      3. Motion was made and a Yes vote was made to purchase 3 tents/pop ups with sides. Max total to be spend is $1,000.
        1. Kui is responsible to purchase tents
      4. Jose is researching about getting new banners made
      5. Carlos is researching additional storage for boat yard
    3. Dollies
      1. Andy will know this week on the timeline of when a new beach dolly will be done. UPDATE – Dolly will be done by 4/22. And he will get the handle on our current dolly fixed as well.
      2. Still testing the new flat dolly. Want to see if the new cradles help and if so, then suggest buy a second dolly
    4. Canoes
      1. Need to trail canoes to Crystal Pier to be weighed.
      2. Discussion about how can we weigh the canoes before the race so we have the right weights available to add as needed.
      3. Jose is to research scale options
    5. Cradles
      1. Good
  4. MEMBERSHIP
    1. SCORA waivers
      1. Leonard reminded us that those members that are paddling and racing need to go online and create/update their SCORA registration.
      2. Reminder to paddlers will be added to team email and Jose will remind members at practice
    2. Recruitment
      1. Discussion about the low level of new members coming out to paddle this season.
      2. Discussion also about how much more we should reach out to those we met at Aloha Festival.
        1. Board agreement 1 more email to potential members about opening up Tuesday practice to them and 1 email will be sent when a Saguaro trip is planned
      3. After Crystal Pier, board will discuss additional recruitment efforts
    3. Current have 33 paid members
  5. PRACTICES
    1. Still good with the schedule?
      1. Discussion about practices and opening up all days to all members. Maybe splitting race teams between Tuesday and Thursday so coaches are able to give all paddlers attention.
        1. Board agreement to open Tuesday to all paddlers on a trial basis
      2. Discussion about scheduling trip to Saguaro Lake for practice. Will happen after Crystal Pier race
      3. Discussion about how to make sure we don’t focus on growing the club and welcoming new members while also working on being more competitive during races.
    2. Race Crews
      1. Crews are not set. Email will go out to racers that fees are due by 4/21
    3. Special Practices
      1. Las Vegas is set for April 22 at Lake Mead
        1. Email will be sent to the 13 members that expressed interest in going with all of the details.
        2. Will be towing 2 boats
      2. Need to have closed practice for huli drills before Crystal Pier race
      3. Lake Pleasant practice/meeting
        1. Carlos will reach out to Bud about scheduling meeting on Sunday, April 30 – UPDATE still need to confirm but small group for workshop on Saturday, April 29 @ 2p, racers/paddlers on Sunday to put what we learned to practice
        2. Will do huli drills at Lake Pleasant instead of Saguaro if this date works for Bud
      4. May 20th Saguaro practice
        1. Invite to potential members, potluck
  6. RACES
    1. Crystal Pier
      1. Race fees are due by April 21st from anyone that wants to race. $30 for adults, $9 for keikis
      2. Paddlers need to coordinate through coaches if paddling with another team (i.e. keikis wanting to race)
    2. Other races
      1. Board agreement to not do Na Pali this year
      2. Pailolo is possibility; decision will be made after Iron Champs
      3. Catalina should be goal
    3. Discussion and agreement about paddlers/racers are responsible for reserving their own accommodations, travel requirements.
  7. OTHER
    1. Board discussion about Uncle Kimokeo
      1. Board agreement on $300 donation to Kimokeo Foundation and sending picture gift as thank you for canoe blessing
    2. Custom leis
      1. Board discussion and agreement – setting up FB page for Aunty Aloha’s Lei Stand to promote custom leis for celebrations, graduations. Carlos will set up FB page
      2. Board discussion about sending notices to ASU groups about graduation leis. Larissa to get information about setting up a booth.
    3. Women on Adventure group on hold

 

Next meeting is Monday, May 1 @ 6:30p at Diana’s office
Meeting adjourned at 9:00pm

TAZ BOD Meeting Notes 2/28

TAZ BOD Meeting Notes 2/28

  1. CANOE REPAIR
    1. Painting might happen Saturday March 4
    2. Painting Malia must be on Sunday, March 5, if Mr. Painter doesn’t come
    3. Sanding on Ka I kena & Malia needs to be done
    4. Help Mr. Painter paint so it’s cheaper, $50 hour
  2. EQUIPMENT REPAIRS
    1. No info on trailer
    2. Dolly is being created for $0
    3. Buy the people making it BEEEEERRRRRR
  3. BLESSINGS
    1. One at the festival, two at the lake?
    2. Depending on Uncle Kimokeo being there
    3. Renaming the Malia to Uncle Allen
    4. Make an event of the blessing
    5. Uncle Kimokeo will be at the Aloha Festival on Saturday Morning, and Sunday Evening?
    6. Have to figure out if the canoes have to be in the water???
    7. Sunday 5:30p for club the blessing
  4. ALOHA FESTIVAL
    1. Sign up sheet– shifts
    2. 9-11:30, 11:00-1:30, 1-3:30,3:30-5:00
    3. Saturday & Sunday
    4. Friday are needed to load, need at least 6
    5. Canoes must be loaded at the site by 5:30
    6. Andy will bring tent
    7. We are provided with table & 2 chairs
    8. Flyers, wristbands, hats, shirts, business cards
    9. Leis with our brand are allowed for sale–100 leis made, need to put business cards
    10. Need to order more yarn
    11. Tell people to bring their own chairs-tables
    12. At the table, captains for square, at all times to sell/represent TAZ efficiently
    13. Showing people how to rig, lei making, and other Hawaiian traditions
  5. NO QUICK STRAPS
    1. Make a rigging station
    2. Create a schedule in order for people to cycle through different things.
    3. Posters to teach people about outrigger, parts of the canoe, map of Hawaii
    4. Put stuff in the canoe, specifically the seats in order for kids to not climb in it
    5. Put up a sign to tell people not to climb into the canoe
    6. Announcements on the website for the blessing and rigging events
  6. BUYING STUFF
    1. Pop up tents-$500 for EZ-up, more being worked on
    2. $60 for new poster– contact Robert OR Fedex Business
    3. Need the square app for more opportunities for sale
  7. PRACTICES
    1. With only one canoe, we need to load the boat on Thursday, March 2
    2. If we get no confirmation for the canoe to paint, no loading of the canoe
    3. Practice Saturday, March 4 is on at 8AM, possibly loading or moving canoes
    4. Short runs until we have canoes done
    5. Need to cancel or organize a better way to manage practice
  8. FUNDRAISING
    1. Email to Hanohano for vendor information
    2. Get more contacts for more information and possible discount
    3. Crystal Pier vendor tent for $200
    4. Raffle Prize brings it down to $150
    5. Due by May
    6. No information for MDR & Irons for selling leis on website
    7. Banquet room for July after Irons?
    8. The Gorge is July 15
  9. COACHING
    1. Tally votes and get names for races for 2017
    2. Giving feedback is necessary for whether one should do at a race
    3. Surveying doesn’t always help
    4. What to our paddlers want to gain this year for themselves?
    5. What do our paddlers want to gain for the club.
    6. Tuesday, March 21, CLUB MEETING
    7. Who REALLY wants to race?
    8. New Assessments
  10. DONATIONS & HELP
    1. Help out IK with cradles, stickers, and possibly a dolly
    2. Kai Wai stickers, cradles with their color and label
    3. We love our sister clubs, and we should pay back to our Ohana
  11. OPEN HOUSE
    1. March 18 at 10 AM
    2. 8 AM club practice
    3. double-hull- sit on the platform over the iakos
    4. Need waivers ready
    5. Need a sign up for club members going to do what in the open house
    6. 40- 50 people expected
    7. Potluck
    8. We will need more people for management
    9. Andy will work on logistics for open house
  12. Miscellaneous
    1. Need to call Bubba and the SCORA crew
    2. More networking means more opportunity for growth
    3. BOYS CLUB & Women in Adventure
      1. Can’t do paddle until September or farther
  13. Future Board Meetings
    1. first Monday of the month at Paradise at 6:30p
      1. April 3
      2. May 1
      3. June 5
      4. July 3

 

Board Meeting 1/12/2017

Date: 1/12/2017

Location: TTL

In attendance: Carlos, Dee, Larissa, Jose, Stacy, Kui, Stacia, Andy

Agenda

INSURANCE

DUES

BOATS

FUNDRAISING

ONLINE FUNDRAISING

MEMBERSHIPS

MEETINGS

EXPENSES

OPEN HOUSE

SCORA

BOATS

PRACTICE

RACERS

RANDOM NOTES

TASKS

 

INSURANCE

  • Through Servco in Hawaii

  • Diana needs to call insurance

  • Expenses-  $1M Rider insurance needed for the City of Tempe

DUES

  • We have a tracker

  • due dates

  • more communication

  • All dues in by January 31st or settled with Diana

BOATS

  • Storage- space

  • Club owns 2 OC 1

  • OC 1 fees for other people

  • Only oc1’s or other kinds of boats?

  • Our space can hold 2 or 3 more Oc1’s $150/year

FUNDRAISING

  • Lacretia, contact for ALOHA FESTIVAL

  • Raffle tickets

  • $5 each- $1 for the club

  • All tickets need to be turned in by February 28

  • 100 tickets from Bob

  • Ask bob who the check needs to be written out to

  • ASK: Sell more hats, leis, shirts, STUFF

  • EMAIL TED FOR ALL ALOHA FESTIVAL STUFF

  • How many tents, what can we bring, how big is our space

  • ASK if I can bring a generator- which

Online Fundraising Account

gofundme

  • Make a campaign

  • Canoe repair campaign

  • Scholarship

  • Keiki scholarship

  • Video exposure a must

Amazon Smiles

  • Learn and show people how to do it.

  • Email about it

  • Company Amazon accounts

Membership

  • SIGN WAVERS

  • End of January all are due

  • $100 Students

  • $150 Individual

  • $200 Family up to 2 adults 2 kids

General meeting

  • February 25

Next Board Meeting

  • February 2nd

Expenses

  • 4 TAZ TENTS that say TAZ ON THEM

  • Kui buying stuff for open house and then some

Open House

  • March 18

  • Taz business cards, flyers, bracelets

SCORA

Voting

  • We want unlimited to have their own category for coed masters

Boats

  • Painting and repair

  • Andy looking up for companies

  • Fiberglass work needs to be done

  • Need another dolly

  • Brett to loan weld machine or

  • Andy will look for metal working shops to make it

Practices

  • Tues, Sat- Salton Sea

  • Thurs, Sat- Open

  • This Saturday no closures, just delays

  • 8AM Saturday General practice

  • 2 Special Practices- Monday-MLK DAY- NY coming into town- EXTRA PRACTICE

  • MEET UP- Women on Adventure: January 21 10AM- Double Haul- Borrow Na Leo’s dolly– Regular practice planned, need more people to help steer and stroke, POTLUCK

Racers

  • Higher Expectations

  • Need to know how to swim

  • Emergency PFD

  • Tread water tests- water tests

  • Set for Salton Sea- Coach Kui is happy

Salton sea

  • Look for camping and sleeping options

  • Salton Sea Registration done by the coaches

  • No crews are set yet

Random Notes

  • Na Pali

    • 6 and 6 for crew- coed

  • Start making plans and intent to race

  • Same SCORA races planned this year with exception of ADR Havasu and Na Pali

  • Jose is the point of contact for Kialoa discount blades

Tasks

  • Need External coach for practice when board is occupied

    • Amy, Ilona, Leonard

  • TEXT KUI ABOUT WELCOME PACKET, TENTS CARDS, AND STUFF

  • SEND EMAIL ABOUT ALOHA FESTIVAL TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!

  • Andy to contact Salton Sea for booth and camping

December 20, 2016 Board Notes

Notes: December 20, 2016

In attendance: Carlos, Dee, Larissa, Jose, Stacy, Diana, Kui, Leonard, Stacia

FEES

CREWS, COACHING & PRACTICE 

TAZ CLUB RACES

OTHER EVENTS

BOAT MAINTENANCE

TRAILER MAINTENANCE

NEED TO BUY

TRIPS

RANDOM NOTES

INSURANCE INFO

NEXT MEETING

FEES

  1. Bank: $8,500

  2. Ironman: +$ 2,400

  3. ADR check +$800

  4. Storage Fee: -$2,500

  5. SCORA Fee & Insurance: ~$1,000

  6. New paddlers paddle for free 3 times then need to make a decision

  7. TAZ Tracking – Online

    1. No one gets added until dues are paid

  8. Accountability is #1, new policy set

    1. 30 days away from race, fees are due

    2. 7 days away from race, cannot race, OR speak with coach

  9. Pay Club Dues by 1/1/2017 for discount

  10. Payment options are available for membership dues

CREWS, COACHING & PRACTICE

 

  1. All paddlers need approval from coach

    • Novice in general can’t do some long distance races 15+ miles (coaches decision)

  2. Log all paddler’s practices

  3. PRACTICES FOR DECEMBER – FEBRUARY (SALTON SEA RACE)

    • TUESDAYS 6 PM: SALTON SEA RACE PRACTICE

    • THURSDAY 6 PM: OPEN PRACTICE

    • SATURDAY 6 PM: OPEN PRACTICE

 

TAZ CLUB RACES

 

  1. SALTON SEA 6-12 Miles ($45 Due by January 11, 2017)

  2. Crystal Pier

  3. Marina Del Rey

 

OTHER FUTURE EVENTS

 

  1. January 21st – Recruiting event: Woman on Adventure (Double haul practice?)

  2. Next SCORA meeting 1/21/2016

  3. March 11-12 – ALOHA Festival (Tempe Beach Park)

  4. March 18, 2017, TAZ Open House (use punch cards to get rides in the boat for newbies)

BOAT MAINTENANCE

  1. Get 2 quotes on maintenance

  2. Call Rosen for paint options (Include info on polish, clear coat, & paint)

  3. Other options for paint. Tom Woolridge – 6023198113

  4. How much do canoes currently weigh

  5. An Industrial scale

  6. Makaha – Bradley (Clear Coat, polish)

  7. Ka Ikena – Bradley (Fiberglass Repair, Clear Coat & Polish)

  8. VIRGINIA (Needs structural repair Paint, Clear Coat & Polish)

  9. TITA Malia (Paint, Clear Coat & Polish)

TRAILER MAINTENANCE

Structural work needed

  • Rusted Bolts

  • Flat bar VS Oval Carrier

  • Add Tool box on trailer

 

TRIPS

Saguaro after February

 

NEED TO BUY

  • Yoga mats

  • Holder for the lights on the iakos

  • Flag holder

  • 2 New dollies

RANDOM NOTES

  • Link to open drive in email w/ SCORA folder

  • First 2017 General Meeting: February 25

  • ALL INFORMATION – GO TO THE WEBSITE

  • No ads are allowed on website

  • Send people to website for info about club

  • Always BCC in emails (not CC so reply all doesn’t go to everyone)

  • Facebook Messenger – split into 2 groups (club info and random banter/talk)

 

INSURANCE INFO

 

SCORA changing policy

Blanket insurance for club but each paddler needs their own insurance

NEXT MEETING

  • Quotes and updates on boat maintenance

  • Need to buy items

  • Trailer maintenance

  • Ask Alicia how many keys are checked out by TAZ and make a plan to get license & use motor boats

  • Who is racing in the Salton Sea?