TAZ Update 6/6/18

ALOHA!
Congrats to all of the racers at Kahanamoku Klassic this past weekend! You all did amazing!! Next up – Iron Champs!
Practice Schedule
  • Thursday, 6/7 @ 6:00pm – race practice – we will be having a meeting before practice begins – all paddlers that want to paddle the next race, Iron Champs, should be at this meeting
  • Saturday, 6/9 – race practice schedule will be sent in a separate email


Iron Champs – Saturday, 23rd
  • Race fees are due this SATURDAY, 6/9/18. Race fees must be paid in order to be considered for a crew.
  • It's also recommended that you start booking rooms if you haven't already done so. 
  • Aunty Aloha Lei Booth – we will be setting up our lei booth at the race and are looking for volunteers to help run the booth. If interested in volunteering, see Diana.
Fundraising
  • We have currently raised $4,552 and are looking at another $2,200 from additional donations. Thank you to everyone that has helped find sponsors & donations for our team. We are still working on finding additional sponsors so if you know of a company/person we should contact please let Merrily or Carlos know. 
  • Fundraising forms are attached.
  • Ironman – we will again be volunteering at both the 1/2 and full Ironman events. We are looking for co-chairs to work with Amy, Stacia & Ilona this year. If you are interested, please them directly. 
Other News / Upcoming Events
  • Tuesday, 6/26 – Boy Scout Team Building Activity – will need volunteers to assist (no practice this day)
  • Thursday, 6/28 – Team Meeting @ 6:00pm
Board meeting notes can be found HERE.
A Hui Hou!!


Team Arizona Outrigger Canoe Club
550 E. Tempe Town Lake, Tempe, Arizona 85281

TAZ Board Meeting – 6-4-18

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting

Monday,  06/04/18

Attendees – Andy Thomas, Diana Durham, Carlos Hernandez, Kui Eugenio, Jeff Leonard, SofiaTuncap

Finance Status

  • Account Balance – $9,890.72
  • Recent / Upcoming Expenses
    • 4 tents – $431
    • Spring User Fees – TTL – $320
    • Uncle Kimokeo donation – $1,000
  • Received / Expected Income
    • Coconuts – $1,500
    • Kendall Plumbing – $250
    • Aloha AC – $600
    • Sacktime Mattress (Vega) – $1,000
    • McKesson – CO Match (Aunty) – $1,200

MDR Recap

Race went really well. Use boat launch to load/unload canoes next year. Everyone has really jumped in and helped getting the canoes ready for the race and loading canoes.

Fundraising

  • Ironman – November 18th
    • Stacia, Ilona, & Amy – all said yes to manning captain stations again. Have 1 person co-chair the stations to learn what they do. Will ask for volunteers
    • ½ Ironman – October 21st – Carlos & Sofia will co-chair again
  • Aunty Aloha booth – Iron Champs race
    • Need volunteers to help man the booth
    • Make candy leis for keikis
  • Plan through Merrily absence – gone June 14 – July 17
    • Carlos & Leonard will help in her absence to make sure we stay on top of any additional vendors
  • Set meeting in September for Fundraising Committee & Board to discuss learnings from this year and plan what we’re going to do next year

Canoes

  • Repairs needed – nothing major at this point. Fixed rivets from rails. Fix skirts for both canoes.
  • UL funding – put $5,000 in savings account to start saving for an unlimited canoe. Board discussed and approved.

Iron Champs

  • Schedule – will reset expectations for who is in short vs long course. Novice team will stay together and complete short course. Coach would like everyone to step up and do long course.
  • Towing – looking at borrowing canoes so we don’t have to tow. Will depend on how  many short vs long course crews we have.
  • Leis – look at inventory and may schedule working/lei making day on Sunday.

Races – after Iron Champs have a team meeting to discuss who is interested in doing 9man change races, Kona, etc.  Team meeting, June 28th @ 6pm.

Board meeting adjourned at 7:47pm. Next board meeting will be Monday, July 9th @ 6:00pm.

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting

Monday,  06/04/18

Attendees – Andy Thomas, Diana Durham, Carlos Hernandez, Kui Eugenio, Jeff Leonard, SofiaTuncap

Finance Status

  • Account Balance – $9,890.72
  • Recent / Upcoming Expenses
    • 4 tents – $431
    • Spring User Fees – TTL – $320
    • Uncle Kimokeo donation – $1,000
  • Received / Expected Income
    • Coconuts – $1,500
    • Kendall Plumbing – $250
    • Aloha AC – $600
    • Sacktime Mattress (Vega) – $1,000
    • McKesson – CO Match (Aunty) – $1,200

MDR Recap

Race went really well. Use boat launch to load/unload canoes next year. Everyone has really jumped in and helped getting the canoes ready for the race and loading canoes.

Fundraising

  • Ironman – November 18th
    • Stacia, Ilona, & Amy – all said yes to manning captain stations again. Have 1 person co-chair the stations to learn what they do. Will ask for volunteers
  • ½ Ironman – October 21st – Carlos & Sofia will co-chair again
  • Aunty Aloha booth – Iron Champs race
    • Need volunteers to help man the booth
    • Make candy leis for keikis
  • Plan through Merrily absence – gone June 14 – July 17
    • Carlos & Leonard will help in her absence to make sure we stay on top of any additional vendors
  • Set meeting in September for Fundraising Committee & Board to discuss learnings from this year and plan what we’re going to do next year

Canoes

  • Repairs needed – nothing major at this point. Fixed rivets from rails. Fix skirts for both canoes.
  • UL funding – put $5,000 in savings account to start saving for an unlimited canoe. Board discussed and approved.

Iron Champs

  • Schedule – will reset expectations for who is in short vs long course. Novice team will stay together and complete short course. Coach would like everyone to step up and do long course.
  • Towing – looking at borrowing canoes so we don’t have to tow. Will depend on how  many short vs long course crews we have.
  • Leis – look at inventory and may schedule working/lei making day on Sunday.

Races – after Iron Champs have a team meeting to discuss who is interested in doing 9man change races, Kona, etc.  Team meeting, June 28th @ 6pm.

Board meeting adjourned at 7:47pm. Next board meeting will be Monday, July 9th @ 6:00pm.

 

TAZ update – 5/15/18

;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial”>ALOHA

Congrats to all of the racers at Crystal Pier this past weekend! You all did amazing!! This was only the first race of the season so keep up the hard work!
Practice Schedule
  • Thursday, 5/17 @ 6:00pm – race practice – we will be having a meeting before practice begins – all paddlers that want to paddle the next race, MDR, should be at this meeting
  • Saturday, 5/19 – practice schedule will be sent later in the week


Kahanamoku Klassic – Marina del Rey (MDR) – Saturday, June 2nd
  • Race fees are due this SATURDAY, 5/19/18. Race fees must be paid in order to be considered for a crew.
  • If you haven't done so, start booking rooms as they fill up fast around the race site. If you wish to stay at Jamaica Bay Inn, the hotel right on the race site, call them directly and mention you are racing for a discount.
Fundraising
  • All of you should have received a copy of the attached fundraising packet. We need everyone's help in raising money for the team. The money raised goes towards supporting the club, canoe maintenance and storage fees but can also potentially allow us to purchase an unlimited canoe or reduce race fees.
  • Merrily (Leonard's wife) is the Fundraising Chair. She is willing and available to help reach out to your contacts about donations & sponsorships. You can reach out to her directly with any questions at 610-248-0671 or mpychinka@msn.com
Memorial Day Weekend
  • We need to know if you will be in town Memorial Day weekend – we're looking at having practice both Saturday & Sunday that weekend. Please let Kui know at practice this week if you will be around or not.
Board meeting notes can be found HERE.
A Hui Hou!!