- We meet at Butcher Jones Recreation Area (map below)
- A Tonto National Park pass is required to park on site. Make sure to get this prior to get to the lake. Some places to get it is online, Big 5, various sporting goods stores. Please check this site for locations:
- We will be doing huli drills, so bring dry clothes for after.
- Remember to bring water and hydrate starting now.
- Check the schedule on Heja to make sure you know when you should be arriving.
- Plan on helping unload and load. It takes a lot of people to get this done. Please do not leave without letting a coach know.
- Race fees will also include assisting with the costs to trailer the canoes to San Diego. These can be paid in person to a board member, or online through the TAZOCC.com website. Typically they are $25.
- Please start looking for a hotel NOW. Hotel Circle is still fairly close to the race site with reasonable prices. Pair up if you can to help save on cost.
- Start conversations with people about carpooling to San Diego. There are usually plenty of people leaving early Friday to drive up with, if you need a ride.
- Once in San Diego on Friday, we will need help unloading canoes. Please watch for the email with details on the location and time to meet. We need as many people as possible to get this done. If we cannot complete this Friday, everyone will have to be at the race site extra early to unload and rig.
- Finally, no one should leave after the races until the canoes are unrigged and loaded back on the trailer. We are all responsible for this. If you cannot be there during any of the time we need you, please talk to one of the coaches about how you can help with other duties.
- We need 4 volunteers per race. 2 in the morning to help SCORA setup and 2 in the afternoon to help close shop. These normally don't take more than 30 minutes but important and expected of us.
Good morning, TAZ!
Below is an update of activities taking place over the next couple of weekends at Tempe Town Lake. Please be aware of all impacts to the course on the water and parking areas.
Weekend of April 6th and 7th
Saturday April 6th – USAT National Champ. Tri (Please Note Hard West Storage Closure Below)
On the water; 7:30 am to around 5 pm
Swimmers will be coming out of Tempe Beach Park on the south side of the lake. There will be three different buoyed swim courses on the south side of the lake, all of which are either west of the Mill Ave bridges or stretching just east of Mill. Swimmers will be in the water from 7:30 am to around 5 pm. Please be patient and aware if you are launching from Boat Beach. Again it will be best to keep all boating activities east of the Mill Ave bridges during this time frame.
Access to the Marina and West Boat Storage; 5:30 am to 6 pm
There will be several road closures (see web link above for details).
Marina – Access will be Gilbert Drive from Scottsdale Road. From 8:30 am to around 2 pm there may be runners passing through the marina. PD will direct traffic in and out of the marina and there will be volunteers to help direct runners passing through the marina.
West Boat Storage – Access will be Washington via Center Parkway from the 202 only (Priest to Center Parkway will be closed). Please Note – from 3-6pm West Boat Storage and Boat Beach will not be accessible; no traffic in or out.
Weekend of April 13th and 14th
Saturday April 13th – Take Steps For Crohns; 9:15-10:15 am – Small walk passing in front of Boat Beach. Volunteers will direct traffic between boaters launching/landing and walkers.
Sunday April 14th – Free and Clear
Weekend of April 20th and 21st
Saturday April 20th – Free and Clear
Sunday April 21st – Free and Clear
Aloha Team Arizona Ohana!
We are ready to order
jerseys!!!! Please click on the link below and order your jersey style and
size. If you have not paid for your
membership dues yet, please still complete the form and contact Diana or
someone on the board to make payment arrangements.
You may order additional
jerseys through this form and pay through the TAZ website or Diana directly (or
any board member). Jerseys will be
provided once received and payments made. The cost of each jersey is listed on the form. Please get this form done right away.
Jersey orders are due Monday, April 1st.
Do not miss this deadline.
Remember to complete your SMART waivers through the SCORA website. If you have any issues doing this, please ask
a coach or board member and we are happy to help you. This is needed for anyone planning on racing.
https://waiver.smartwaiver.com/w/5bfc43ae42c8a/web/ – Note
that the SmartWaiver requires paddlers to enter their SCORA ID numbers; if a
paddler does not remember their SCORA ID number, please reach out to your
**Please remember practice is cancelled this weekend due to the
Thank you to everyone who came out and helped with
the open house or participated. It was a huge success! If you didn’t make it
out and still want to paddle, consider coming to one of the practices this week
and speaking with one of the coaches (Kui, Tony or Ilona).
Practice this week (March 18th-March 23rd) is:
Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 6:00 p.m.
Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m.
to bring your water with you as the days are heating up!)
Membership dues for the year are being collected. The board voted to increase
dues slightly to include race jerseys. Here is the breakdown:
$175 single member with one jersey
family with one jersey
family with two jerseys
non-racing member and student (does not include jerseys)
Additional jerseys can be
purchased for $25 apiece for adults and $10 for keiki.
(Please contact Diana with any
need for payment arrangements. Payments can be made in person to a board member
or online on the TAZOCC.com website.)
Volunteering for Dragonboat Festival – Remember
practice is cancelled next weekend due to the Dragonboat Festival. They are
very much in need of volunteers. If you'd like to come out and support this
event, here are the details to sign up for a volunteer shift or two:
of racing. Friday is prep day. We can use your help any day in many ways. You
may have been a loyal volunteer in years past or you may know people interested
in helping with the 2019 Arizona Dragon Boat Festival for the first time.
Volunteers are the engine of the event. I hope you or someone you know will
volunteer. Please join us in one of the most exciting and fun events in
Here's how to sign up:
Go to AZDBA Festival or azdba.org/festival
Click on the link Volunteer
Fill in your name, contact #, email, age, and if
you work for Wells Fargo
Read the Waiver
There are volunteer spots for Friday, Saturday and
Sunday. Look at all.
Select the area and the day(s) and time(s) you will
volunteer. Please enter your t-shirt size. It will be waiting for you when you
check in at the Volunteer table.
Click on the Accept Responsibility and Liability
(Waiver) and Submit
A hui hou!!
- Practice will begin at 7 am this Saturday, March 16th to allow you time on the water before open house begins – update your participation on Heja
- Open House will be from 9 am to 11 am on Saturday – update Heja so coaches know how many people can stay to help. It is vital that we have plenty of members to keep our guests excited and occupied when they aren't on the water.
- Please wear a TAZ shirt
- Please bring a dish, snack, drinks, something to share with the newbies coming out
- Bring lots of aloha spirit to share with all!!!
- Carlos gave the name of each canoe along with the meaning. Coaches would like everyone to use the names of the canoes when referencing them (Makaha, Ka ikena, Mai Poina). The canoes are to be respected as part of the team.
- Andy reminded everyone dues are being collected with jerseys included for those racing. He also reminded everyone waivers are needed prior to getting in the canoe. We need both paper and online for everyone.
- Leonard spoke to everyone about our fundraising efforts including Auntie Aloha and sponsorships. If anyone has contacts at schools or businesses, please let Leonard know and he will make sure contact is made.
- Lisa spoke about the upcoming Aloha Festival and the need for volunteers. The event is scheduled for March 9th and 10th. Information will be coming out about this. Also, team members should continue to sell raffle tickets which we make $1 with each ticket sold.
- Kui and Ilona spoke about the upcoming races for the year and expectations for being seated for a race. The document outlining the races TAZ plans to attend along with expectations, are attached.
- Last item discussed is the safety of each paddler. Steers people are responsible in making sure PFDs, bailers, ropes and all needed canoe items are in the canoe prior to going out on the lake. If someone else notices missing items, please assist with making sure they get in the boat.
- $175 – single membership with a jersey
- $225 – family membership with one jersey
- $250 – family membership with two jerseys
- $100 – non-racing member and student (does not include jersey)
- $25 – jersey fee for adults (for additional jersey above one included with membership dues)
- $10 – jersey fee for keiki
- March 8th: We will need a crew to paddle the wa'a over to the park to set it up. There will be other set up tasks for this day.
- March 9th: We will need to have at least 4-6 volunteers for each shift, the festival runs from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Shifts will be set up soon. We'll discuss further at the general meeting. We will be selling lei's and possibly shirts to raise funds for our club.
- March 10th: Same as the 9th but we will need help breaking down at the end of the Festival. Lisa will provide drinks and snacks to keep you hydrated and satisfied both days.
It’s now 2019
and we have a full year of fun and challenging activities for the team. Here are some important highlights from the
first Team Arizona board meeting:
through January will continue to be Thursday evenings at 6:00 p.m. and Saturday
mornings at 8:00 a.m.
in February practices will be 3 days a week adding Tuesday evenings at 6:00
p.m. along with Thursday and Saturday.
- Membership dues for the year are being
collected. The board voted to increase dues slightly to
include race jerseys. Here is the breakdown:
$175 single member with one jersey
$225 family with one jersey
$250 family with two jerseys
$100 non-racing member and student (does not include jerseys)
additional jerseys can be purchased for $25 a piece for adults and $10 for keiki.
(Please contact Diana with any need for
payment arrangements. Payments can be made in person to a board member or
online on the TAZOCC.com website.)
WAIVERS NEED TO BE COMPLETED BEFORE YOU
CONTINUE TO PADDLE. You
will not be allowed in the canoe without a waiver filled out and signed.
first general meeting for members to hear coach’s goals for the year is February
9, 2019 at scheduled practice. Another general meeting will take place after the Aloha Festival.
- TAZ pullovers are being sold for a limited time. Please see our website's store for more information.
Please see the
attached Board notes for any additional information. As always, if you have any questions or
concerns, please contact one of your board members listed: Andy Thomas –
President; Lisa Zanin –
Vice President; Diana Durham – Treasurer; Amy Hartle –
Secretary; Michelle Vega –
Member at Large; Tony Holland –
SCORA Representative; Kui Eugenio –