TAZ Board Minutes – 11/6/18

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting

Tuesday, 11/6/18

Attendees – Andy Thomas, Carlos Hernandez, Diana Durham, Sofia Munda, Jeff Leonard, Merrily Pychinka, Valerie Smyth

Finance Status

  • Account Balance – $8,906.96
    • $5,000 of this total is in our unlimited canoe savings account
  • 2018 Spending & Revenue  – YTD data – QB report attached
  • Recent / Upcoming Expenses
    • Holiday gift – $500
    • Canoe cover – $800
  • Received / Expected Income
    • $676.70 ADR sales

Maintenance

  • Canoes
    • Malia canoes – 1 @ Todd’s, 1 @ Kui’s.
      • Virginia – bodywork, fiberglass vie, paint – Thanksgiving weekend, Dec 1-2
      • Ryan – won’t start working on this one until Virginia is done
  • Dollies
    • No work currently needed
  • Trailer
    • No work currently needed. Will relook at before race season next year
    • Brakes on trailer – need quote and relook at early next year.
  • Covers & Skirts
    • Skirts – need for Mai Poina; need to get quotes. Will relook at early next year.
    • Cover – Stephanie took measurements at ADR of all 3 canoes. Board approved one. Board discussion around purchasing a second canoe cover for makaha –  voted and approved.

Fundraising

  • Committee Meeting Recap – 10/29
    • Sponsorship/Donation breakdown – see attached. Board decided to take sponsors off the back of the jersey’s.
    • TAZ basket –  thank you popcorn basket, basket of logo gear, picture of team. Local company items (not vodka bottles, bundt cakes, honey, salsa) – cost based on level of donation
    • Lei sales – working with local high schools to do a joint fundraiser
  • Ironman
    • Write up from captains of what we learned & what we could do better next year.

Practices & Races

  • Offseason Practice Schedule
    • Thursday @ 6:00p  / Saturday @ 8:00a. Paddle schedule may change based on Heja attendance

Processes and Reports

  • Safety
    • Leonard will modify the incident report to keep at locker.  This will include instructions of what to do when an accident happens and how to fill out the Incident Report.
  • Team Equipment – OC-1 and OC-6 use
    • Kui will write up the requirements to use team equipment, specifically the OC-1 and OC-6 canoes. An email will be sent with requirements along with posting requirements on storage lockers at the lake.
    • The biggest requirement will be that TAZ members must get Coach approval to use a canoe before it is taken out.
    • If taking a canoe outside of team practice times, and after getting Coach approval, all persons using the canoe must be a TAZ member in good standing

Upcoming Board

  • Nomination process
    • Email out to all members with nominations in by Monday, 11/26. Ballot will be created by 11/30
  • Board elections
    • Paper voting at holiday party. Will have mail in voting to Merrily
    • Ballots at lake – put in a box (name on ballot) so we can track
  • Board position duties
    • Board discussed and approved breakdown of additional duties for each board position
  • Deliverables for new board
    • Write up for old board to hand to new board members of what their position  does and where to find everything. Have it in the google docs or email by 12/8

Other Items

  • Holiday Party – Sunday, 12/9, 3:00p – 7:00p
    • recap/overview @ party
  • Aloha Festival
    • Carlos to take on getting to a meeting to discuss ideas with committee. Attend meeting and set up connection with Uncle Kimokeo
  • SCORA meeting update
    • New clubs process – clubs that sponsor new clubs should follow those clubs to make sure they comply with SCORA rules
    • Race divisions – if there are 2 or more canoes per division, then they would be eligible for medals
    • Voting on new clubs & proposals – December 1 in Oceanside, January 27 in MDR (voting meeting).
    • SDOCC – potential new race that would be happen in May as a trial run.

Team AZ Board Minutes – 9/17/18

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting

Monday,  9/17/18

Attendees – Andy Thomas, Diana Durham, Carlos Hernandez, Kui Eugenio, Jeff Leonard, Lisa Zanin, Tony Holland

Finance Status

  • Account Balance – $10,284.53
    • $5,000 of this total is in our unlimited canoe savings account
  • Recent / Upcoming Expenses
    • ADR – $1020 (3 – OC6 crews)
    • Lake Fees – summer user fees & canoe registration – $400
  • Received / Expected Income
    • Ironman volunteering – $650 (half) + $2,500 (full)

Maintenance

  • Dolly
    • 1 dolly has been fixed. Still need to work on the 2nd one – needs new wheels
  • Canoe
    • 161 – repair – dent on side hull, gelcoat is cracked
    • Malia canoes  – need to finish repairing both canoes. Todd has said he’s willing to take canoes to his house so he can work on them so we need to schedule time with him to make this happen.
    • Review paint condition on all canoes – Kui & Andy will look at all canoes to determine what additional work needs to be done.
  • Covers
    • Need to decide if we’re going to buy them or make them. $800 to have someone make them vs. $500 for us to make them.  Andy will reach out to Stephanie to see about getting measurements done at ADR so cover can be made during the winter.
    • Board discussion – purchase 1 cover for Mai Poina – voted and approved
    • Kui will work on getting straps redone for 2 current covers
  • Skirts
  • Kui will work with Uncle Kimokeo to get quote from his vendor to get a skirt manufactured for Mai Poina.
  • Trailer
  • Need to look at fixing/replacing the brakes. Will look at during the offseason.

Fundraising

  • Committee Meeting Recap – 8/27
    • Leonard & Carlos reviewed the breakdown/changes of what a sponsor would get depending on when & what they donate to the club. It is broken down Aug-Dec, Jan-July. Larger sponsorship getting full name on canoe or  a custom sponsor package.
    • Lei sales – committee is going to approach local high schools, university, sorority/fraternity groups to see about setting up a partnership with schools to sell leis for graduations. Start reaching out in January to make the contact to get orders ahead of time.
    • Cold calls – not currently happening. Want to find a better way to have the club members to provide contacts of companies.
    • Fundraising/sponsorship year runs – Board discussed making the fundraising year run April thru March to make it easier for communications to potential sponsors and make it easier on the club to manage how we work with sponsors. Board asked the fundraising committee to relook at sponsorship breakdown and resubmit to the board at the next meeting.
  • Shirts/Logowear
    • Sell logo shirts as a fundraiser of logo prints. Leonard & Lisa both have vendors they can reach out to for quotes to get shirts printed. Carlos will work on getting quotes gathered and bring information to the next board meeting.
  • IronMan Half & Full
    • Half Iron – Carlos is working on getting all of the information about the half iron and current volunteer lists from Sofia. He will update board once he has this information.
    • Full Iron – Andy will have Amy manage Ironman volunteer lists and all current correspondence to club and have separate emails from TAZ updates go out. Carlos will bring an Ipad to the October 6th practice to get members to sign up for volunteer shifts.  

Practices & Races

  • Schedule Changes
    • No schedule changes before ADR. All practices are open to all paddlers so coaches will be using the Heja app to determine crews for ADR and practice details.
  • ADR
    • John is looking for help during the race again this year. We’ll be looking for volunteers that aren’t racing to help with timing, registration, etc.
    • Board decided to not set up a vendor booth this year.
    • Just because a paddler paid for a seat for ADR, that isn’t a guarantee they will race. The coaches will be look at attendance and how paddlers are performing at practices to set crews.
  • Offseason practice schedule
    • After ADR, we will be going to Tuesday/Saturday practice schedule. In December, we will have Saturday practice only.
    • Once new board/coaches are set in December, the 2019 practice schedule will be determined.

Incident Reports & Safety

  • Incident reports
    • Andy will get incident reports in the team locker by end of month.
    • If there is an accident during practice, a board member or coach needs to be informed immediately so a report can be filled out and first aid administered as needed.
    • If there is an incident while on the water, the canoe should make its way to the boat ramp immediately, call 911 and inform them that we are at the Tempe Lake Marina Boat Ramp. They are able to do a water rescue if needed.
    • Diana will order first aid kits and dry bags for each canoe. At each practice, a first aid kit should be in the canoe and the steersperson will wear a dry bag with a cell phone in it in case of an emergency.

Upcoming Board

  • Processes for board positions
    • A list of duties for each position will be created so that new board members have some guidelines of what they are responsible for during the year. Diana and Andy will work on creating an initial list for each position and will bring for discussion at the next board meeting.
  • Board elections
    • Notice will got out to all current members for board nominations after the November 6th board meeting. Voting happens in late November/early December with results announced at the holiday party.
  • Holiday Party – Sunday, December 2 @ 3:00pm – 7:00pm @ Durham-Eugenio House
    • Team gift – each board member will come up with ideas with costs to next board meeting

Other Items

  • Aloha Festival
    • Diana will reach out to Festival committee to start discussions about doing canoe rides during the 2019 festival.
    • Uncle Kimokeo is also interested in doing a sprint race/exhibition during the festival weekend so discussion will happen during ADR to determine possibility.

Next board meeting is Tuesday, November 6 @ 6:30pm. Meeting is adjourned 9:04pm.

 

Team AZ Board Meeting – 7/9/18

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting

Monday,  7/9/18

Attendees – Andy Thomas, Diana Durham, Carlos Hernandez, Kui Eugenio, Valerie Smyth, SofiaTuncap

Finance Status

  • Account Balance – $9,890.72
  • Recent / Upcoming Expenses
    • Kona race fees – $580
    • Tents – will buy when we see a sale
  • Received / Expected Income
    • Sacktime Mattress (Vega) – $1,000 – Carlos will follow up with him in August
    • McKesson – CO Match (Aunty) – $1,200

Maintenance

  • Dollies
    • Wheels on white dollies are getting torn up already – need to look at replacing all wheels.
    • Blue dollies – update with cradles instead of bars. Need new wheels as well.
  • Canoes
    • Todd – willing to take the Malia’s to his house so he can work on them when he has free time. Would be nice to have the malia’s done for ADR. Schedule time with Todd to get canoes moved.
    • Seat pads – foam knee pad for gardening. Andy will take this on.
    • Canoe flooring – have Ric look at other options for grip as they are getting slippery again
  • Trailer
    • Dolly to help move trailer easier
    • Additional storage in back of trailer – build frame
    • Paint trailer – get quotes – have done Nov/Dec.

Fundraising

  • Ironman Volunteering
    • ½ Iron – 10/21 – Carlos & Sophia will co-chair this again
    • Full Iron – 11/17-11/18 – Stacia, Ilona & Amy will be station captains again this year, however, we still need volunteers to help co-chair. Possible options – Val, Mendoza, Lucie, Terry, Lisa
    • Emails will start going out to the team to remind them to sign up to volunteer at both events. This is one of our biggest fundraisers of the year.
  • Committee meeting – Carlos will coordinate with Merrily & Leonard when they get back into town. Andy & Diana would like to attend. Heather is joining the committee.
    • Topics to discuss – sponsorship parameters, timeline/schedule for reaching out to potential sponsors/donors.
  • Thank you cards – Carlos will purchase cards and get board signatures and print pictures to send to sponsors.
  • Banner – will look at getting a banner printed in early September so we can post at ADR and use next year.

Practices & Races

  • Practice schedule
    • Need to clean up TAZ calendar to reflect current training schedule
    • Kona crew will practice on Thursday/Sundays
    • Ocean training – looking at 8/11-8/12 to practice in San Diego with Ikuna Koa
    • Saguaro practice – Saturday, 8/25
    • No kids until 10/1 – juniors (16+) are welcome to practice during the summer
  • Upcoming Races
    • 9man season – Coach will work with individual paddlers interested in participating in 9man season to see if he can find them a seat but we will not be racing as a team this season
    • Queens race – Labor Day weekend
    • Journey (not a race but long distance paddle)
    • Maui Nui – 9/8-9/9
  • Team jerseys
    • Looking to get a special jersey made for the Hawaii races. Will let team know once a design and decision is made
    • Will look at options for what to do about jerseys in the fall going forward. May increase memberships to include a jersey so everyone has the same one for racing.
    • Other things to consider when we are looking at jerseys include branding & keeping the front logo the same multiple years, getting special sponsorships for special races (like Kona), how to manage sponsorships & logos on the back of jerseys each year.

Incident Reports & Safety

  • An accident happened at the lake and we found that we still don’t have incident report copies at the lake. It is really important that we have these available and fill them out when accidents happen. Andy will work on getting this completed. He will also reach out to Alicia for resources from the lake.
  • First aid kits – there is currently a first aid kit in the short bin by the trailer. Diana will work on getting a first aid kit for each canoe with basic supplies. We will also get a dry bag for each canoe to hold a phone in case of emergencies.
  • Safety clinic – Andy will take this project on. We will work on having a safety meeting twice a year and it will be mandatory for steers minimally.

Next board meeting, Monday, September 17. Adjorned at 7:48p

 

TAZ Board Meeting – 6-4-18

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting

Monday,  06/04/18

Attendees – Andy Thomas, Diana Durham, Carlos Hernandez, Kui Eugenio, Jeff Leonard, SofiaTuncap

Finance Status

  • Account Balance – $9,890.72
  • Recent / Upcoming Expenses
    • 4 tents – $431
    • Spring User Fees – TTL – $320
    • Uncle Kimokeo donation – $1,000
  • Received / Expected Income
    • Coconuts – $1,500
    • Kendall Plumbing – $250
    • Aloha AC – $600
    • Sacktime Mattress (Vega) – $1,000
    • McKesson – CO Match (Aunty) – $1,200

MDR Recap

Race went really well. Use boat launch to load/unload canoes next year. Everyone has really jumped in and helped getting the canoes ready for the race and loading canoes.

Fundraising

  • Ironman – November 18th
    • Stacia, Ilona, & Amy – all said yes to manning captain stations again. Have 1 person co-chair the stations to learn what they do. Will ask for volunteers
    • ½ Ironman – October 21st – Carlos & Sofia will co-chair again
  • Aunty Aloha booth – Iron Champs race
    • Need volunteers to help man the booth
    • Make candy leis for keikis
  • Plan through Merrily absence – gone June 14 – July 17
    • Carlos & Leonard will help in her absence to make sure we stay on top of any additional vendors
  • Set meeting in September for Fundraising Committee & Board to discuss learnings from this year and plan what we’re going to do next year

Canoes

  • Repairs needed – nothing major at this point. Fixed rivets from rails. Fix skirts for both canoes.
  • UL funding – put $5,000 in savings account to start saving for an unlimited canoe. Board discussed and approved.

Iron Champs

  • Schedule – will reset expectations for who is in short vs long course. Novice team will stay together and complete short course. Coach would like everyone to step up and do long course.
  • Towing – looking at borrowing canoes so we don’t have to tow. Will depend on how  many short vs long course crews we have.
  • Leis – look at inventory and may schedule working/lei making day on Sunday.

Races – after Iron Champs have a team meeting to discuss who is interested in doing 9man change races, Kona, etc.  Team meeting, June 28th @ 6pm.

Board meeting adjourned at 7:47pm. Next board meeting will be Monday, July 9th @ 6:00pm.

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting

Monday,  06/04/18

Attendees – Andy Thomas, Diana Durham, Carlos Hernandez, Kui Eugenio, Jeff Leonard, SofiaTuncap

Finance Status

  • Account Balance – $9,890.72
  • Recent / Upcoming Expenses
    • 4 tents – $431
    • Spring User Fees – TTL – $320
    • Uncle Kimokeo donation – $1,000
  • Received / Expected Income
    • Coconuts – $1,500
    • Kendall Plumbing – $250
    • Aloha AC – $600
    • Sacktime Mattress (Vega) – $1,000
    • McKesson – CO Match (Aunty) – $1,200

MDR Recap

Race went really well. Use boat launch to load/unload canoes next year. Everyone has really jumped in and helped getting the canoes ready for the race and loading canoes.

Fundraising

  • Ironman – November 18th
    • Stacia, Ilona, & Amy – all said yes to manning captain stations again. Have 1 person co-chair the stations to learn what they do. Will ask for volunteers
  • ½ Ironman – October 21st – Carlos & Sofia will co-chair again
  • Aunty Aloha booth – Iron Champs race
    • Need volunteers to help man the booth
    • Make candy leis for keikis
  • Plan through Merrily absence – gone June 14 – July 17
    • Carlos & Leonard will help in her absence to make sure we stay on top of any additional vendors
  • Set meeting in September for Fundraising Committee & Board to discuss learnings from this year and plan what we’re going to do next year

Canoes

  • Repairs needed – nothing major at this point. Fixed rivets from rails. Fix skirts for both canoes.
  • UL funding – put $5,000 in savings account to start saving for an unlimited canoe. Board discussed and approved.

Iron Champs

  • Schedule – will reset expectations for who is in short vs long course. Novice team will stay together and complete short course. Coach would like everyone to step up and do long course.
  • Towing – looking at borrowing canoes so we don’t have to tow. Will depend on how  many short vs long course crews we have.
  • Leis – look at inventory and may schedule working/lei making day on Sunday.

Races – after Iron Champs have a team meeting to discuss who is interested in doing 9man change races, Kona, etc.  Team meeting, June 28th @ 6pm.

Board meeting adjourned at 7:47pm. Next board meeting will be Monday, July 9th @ 6:00pm.

 

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting 5-18-2018

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting

Monday, 5/14/18

Attendees – Andy Thomas, Kui Eugenio, Diana Durham, Merrily Pychinka, Carlos Hernandez, Valerie Symth

Finance Status

Account Balance – $8,152.23

Expenses: SCORA dues/insurance – $1,244.70

Hull/Canoe insurance – $937.00

Jerseys – $908.85

Trailer/dolly repairs – $1,000.00

Upcoming Expenses:

Kimokeo Foundation/Maui Nui Race – $1,000 – they have reached out asking for the donation that we promised last year.  Board discussed and approved.

OC2 purchase – $1,100 – Kui proposed the club purchase John Burns’ OC2 canoe. Board discussed and decided against purchasing OC2.

Unlimited Canoe – Goal of the team will be to purchase 1 unlimited canoe

 

Fundraising

Sponsorships: Hegmann Realty – $1,002

Barefoot Surfaces – in kind

Tradewind (Aunty/Unko Martin) – $1,200

Coconuts –

Fundraising letters – all members received an email and notices at lake to use to reach out to companies, friends for sponsorships and donations. Asking needs to be done by June 14th for sponsorships/donations. Focus will be on general donations/sponsorships.

Letters have gone out to past sponsors for donations again this year. Have heard from 2, still working on Aloha Shoyu. Joan Howell’s husband, Don, will also be helping with reaching out to companies for donations.

Fundraising season should be November – April to make sure we can have sponsors on shirts/website/banners.  

Reach out to Merrily if you have a company that you would like help reaching out to explain who we are.

Separate fundraising for Kona racers this year. Maybe find sponsorships that are for this race specifically. Special shirts for the racers this year. Sell the shirts to raise money towards race fees, canoe donation, etc. After Iron season, we can focus on looking at fundraising options.

Holiday cards to donors/sponsors.

 

Practices/Coaching/Races

If we’re going to have rules, then we need to be consistent in applying them to all paddlers. Ultimately, the coaches have final say on who is in crews and races. If paddlers have concerns about crews, practices or expectations, they should reach out to Kui or Amy.

Crystal Pier race results – Coach was very happy and proud of how everyone competed at the race.  It was a really good start to our racing season but we can’t get complacent in our training or expectations.

Long course – borrow unlimited for 1 of the races to try out. Kui would prefer us to not do so since we don’t practice in an unlimited.

 

Equipment and Maintenance

Trailer – cradles on the trailer should be done professionally. Will look at options and costs on how to safely trailing our canoes long distance.

Key cards – need to get the forms from City of Tempe so we can purchase additional cards.

Canoe Maintenance – what still needs to be done

  • Finish fixing the OC1
  • Finish fixing the 2 – 6man canoes

Upcoming Events –

MDR – 6/2

  • Race fees due 5/19

Iron Champs – 6/24

  • Race fees due 6/9

Other

Coaches need to create and save incident reports. We should have a device that can be used specifically for Team AZ use for waivers, incident reports, etc.  

Incident report – anytime someone is injured, brought to board/coach member attention then we need to fill out a report. Examples – cuts, toes run over by the dolly, contusions.

Andy has a copy of the Tempe Incident Report form that he will bring so we can keep at the lake.

 

Meeting adjourned 8:22pm. Next meeting is Monday, June 4th @ 6:00pm.

TAZ Board Meeting 4-2-18

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting

Monday, 4/02/18

Attendees – Andy Thomas, Amy Hartle, Kui Eugenio, Diana Durham, Sofia Tuncap, Jeff Leonard, Merrily Pychinka, Carlos Hernandez

Finance Status

  • Account Balance – $9,143.41
  • Upcoming Expenses
    • canoe/trailer insurance – $937
    • trailer/dolly work – $900
  • Expected Income
    • Aloha Festival – $695
    • Aloha Festival raffle tickets – $200
    • Dragon Boat Festival – $355

Bylaws

  • approved at last meeting, signatures by board

Jerseys

  • Design
    • Will send out email to members with 3 design choices to vote as our team jerseys
  • Order date – April 16th receive by 27th. Will be ordering the sport-tek shirts
  • Cost – $20 for paddlers

Fundraising

  • Merrily/Jeff/Carlos – committee meeting happened on 3/26/18
    • Member support
      • If members have sponsor/donor suggestions, then we would like to have them make the introductions
      • Initial Contact for Sponsor – committee
    • Carlos – starting a sponsorship contact list
    • Recommend Fundraising Committee as a Board Member
      • Board decided to revisit at later time.  
    • Committee – looking for 5 total from active members
    • Fundraiser email – separate from weekly email with updates
    • Creation of fundraising database
    • 501c3
      • How does having our own affect our SCORA membership
      • Written process of what having our own # is
    • Sponsor/donation list
      • Ohana level – company spirit day
        • Motion & approved by board to add to the Ohana list

Member Status

  1. Dues – 44 paid members
  2. Waivers – 42 smart waivers signed
    1. Coaches will work on contacting those paddlers that haven’t signed up that they are not allowed to paddle until waiver is done

Practices/Coaching/Races

  • Coaching goals/expectations
    • Coach’s Race season Goals
      1. Not everyone will be able to race, paddlers will need to meet racing expectations.
      2. Main priority is safety for our paddlers and as team – we want to make sure paddlers are ready to race and understand what to do in case something happens
      3. Extra water time practice – coaches are looking at how we can make sure paddlers are getting the practice time they need to race
      4. Continuity of crews to build through the season. Continue to build strong, experienced paddlers
    • Keiki program
      • Separate the kids practice, separate coach manages their schedule
      • Carlos has volunteered to be keiki coach
    • Paddle practice expectations
      • Staggered paddle practice times
      • Sign up for seats
  • Schedule
    • Coaches meet weekly to set paddle expectations
    • Weekly workout for those paddlers that are waiting to get in the canoe
  • Steersman test
    • Steersman should be approved by coaches; potential steers clinic
    • Open book test – must get 100% to be able to steer a race
    • Find out interest in steering by members
  • Incident response process
    • Documentation creation and forms – what is our process if something should happen at the lake
    • First aid kit, waivers, accident report form
    • 2-way radio – dry bags and strap to keep near steers seat

Crystal Pier

  • Schedule
    • Create schedule for the day – Sofia
  • Towing
    • Kui will tow first race – bringing 3 canoes
  • Leis
    • Ti leaf anklets – order ti leaves (Amy will order)
  • Post Race gifts
    • Novice – get leis
    • Lanyards – all paddlers – beer/water & granola bars
  • Aunty Aloha booth
    • $200 vendor booth cost
    • Sell water bottles, hats, shirts, leis
    • Need to get scheduled shifts that will actually work the booth

Equipment and Maintenance

  • Trailer
    • Ready by April 14th
  • Cradles
    • April 14th need to create cradles
    • 8 baby short to travel will be in the trailer
    • 4 tall cradles
  • Dolly
    • 2 Dollies ready by April 14th

 

Upcoming Events –

  1. Scora Meeting – April 15th at 1pm to 5pm
  2. Tevita Canoes – he has offered to allow us to us his canoes. We have to pick them up and have 8 people at least go to help load @ salton sea. Plan to pick up on Saturday, 4/21. Andy will follow up and arrange pick up.

Other

  • Las Vegas Club – 9th Island OCC
    • If we allow them to race as TAZ, they need to race to our expectations
    • They will only be allowed to race if Kui is at the race
    • If they are racing under our name, they must show up at our 4/28 Saguaro practice to do huli drills
    • GPS practices & post or send to Kui; practice at least 2 days a week
    • Set expectations that this is the last year they will be paddling under our name
    • Schedule meeting with SCORA ahead of the 4/15 meeting with our expectations and our questions about supporting Vegas

 

Meeting adjourned 8:56pm. Next meeting will be Monday, 5/7 @ 6pm

 

Proposals and Motions

1. Company Spirit Day for OHANA Donation

2.

3.

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting 2/08/18

Team Arizona OCC Board Meeting

Thursday, 2/08/18

Attendees

Andy Thomas, Carlos Hernandez, Diana Durham, Kui Eugenio , Sofia Tuncap, Terry Mendoza, Valerie Symthe

Last Meeting Follow-up

501C3 Info- Jeff L – Jeff looked into it, we should be able to do it but not sure what the benefit is to do so. We will relook at this if we start raising enough funds ($50,000 – which is tax limit)

Team info form to handout with waiver – Andy – will work on for new members to give out after Aloha Festival

Key Inventory (Ask Alicia) – Kui will check with Alicia if she has a list of who has TAZ keys. We think Kui, Amy & Larissa have current keys. Order 2 more keys so we have 5 total for the club. New Keys go to Val and Ilona

Member skills form – Andy – skills of current members to see what they can offer to the club. Ask at the general meeting for list.

Finance Status

  1. Account Balance – $5962.14 not including Ironman Check
  2. Upcoming Expenses
    1. SCORA dues & insurance
    2. Boat & canoe maintenance
  3. Expected Income
    1. membership dues
  4. Fundraising
    1. Aloha Festival raffle tickets
  5. Sponsorships – Carlos will work with Merrily in going to see business for sponsorship
    1. Diana will create letterhead for sponsorship letters
  6. Dues – dues should be paid by the General Meeting

 

Team General Meeting

  1. Date/Time
    1. Saturday, Feb 17th – after practice 10:00am
  2. Location
    1. Tempe Town Lake
  3. Agenda
    1. Practice Expectations
      1. Race v Recreation
      2. Kona, HI by  August 15 to 20 miles
    2. Skills/Member discounts
    3. Races
    4. Aloha Festival
      1. booth/double-hull sign up sheets
    5. Fundraising committee
    6. Safety & Equipment
    7. Accountability Team – weight & strength goals
      1. Team Leader – Terry Mendoza
      2. 3 potential
      3. Weigh-Ins next practice
    8. Sign up – t-shirt size/type
  4. Food – Diana will take care of this

Misc.

  1. Website
    1. Update dues section so easier to pay online
    2. Races Link – still showing 2017
  2. Practices/Schedule
    1. Add Thursdays after Aloha Festival (racers only)
    2. Add Sunday after general meeting (racers only)
    3. Saguaro Lake – potential March 31st / April 28th
      1. Jetski/ Terry for wakes
    4. Schedule
      1. Tuesday @ 6pm, launch canoes 6:30
      2. Saturday @ 8am, launch canoes 8:30
  3. Safety
    1. Motor boat testing – Tempe Lake. This is so we have a coaches boat that would follow the canoe for training/practice
    2. 1man canoe use – rules, request/approval to use from Kui
    3. PFDs, general safety – we need to make sure all members are aware of what the safety rules are
  4. Team Communication
  5. Small boat storage – stall 26 – will be renting to members for 1man/2man canoes
    1. Cost to club
    2. Cost to members

Equipment and Maintenance

  1. Andy & Kui need to do a full inventory of what repairs and purchases need to happen for the canoes this year (this weekend)
  2. Canoe maintenance – every Sunday 9am until Aloha Festival (2/11, 2/18, 2/25), will also on Tuesday/Thursday
  3. Canoes
  4. Trailer
  5. Covers
    1. 3 needed
  6. Paddles
  7. Misc

Upcoming Events

  1. Aloha Festival
    1. Double hull rides – Kui follow up with Alicia on what we need to do
      1. Volunteers – Announce at General Meeting
      2. Booth – Selling Lei, shirts, Hats   
    2. Canoe Blessing
      1. Create Flyers add Poi info
    3. Branded items
      1. Wristbands
      2. Leis
      3. T-shirts/hats
      4. stickers
  2. SCORA – coaches clinic – March 3rd @ NAC – Kui, Amy,

 

TAZ BOARD MEETING 9/21/17

TAZ MEETING 9/21

Attendance: Kui, Diana, Val, Laurissa, Andy, Stacia, Ilona, Carlos

  • Practice
    • All open practices: 5:30 Tuesday/Thursday, 7 am Saturday
    • November practice schedule: twice a week after ADR Tuesday & Saturday
    • Heavy Sunday practice coming after ADR
  • Races/Events
    • Saturday, October 7: Hot Head Okie Race
    • $10 per person
  • Sunday, October 21st: Salton Sea Fest
    • Andy & Amy going for the lei stand?
    • Need to make leis
  • Sunday, October 22: ½ Ironman Triathlon
    • Sign up update – 15 confirmed, 6 maybes, need 10 more
    • Need to make email and flyers to get more vliunteers
  • November 4: ADR
    • Deadline to sign up is October 18
    • $60 per person
    • Friday, November 3rd we have 6 vliunteers
    • Saturday, November 4th need vliunteers for timing, breakfast and the lei stand– need 6-8 vliunteers/ 5 non- racers
  • November 19: Ironman Triathlon
    • Amy needs TAZ 501C3 letter for the grant
    • Make flyer and email to bring people in
    • Sign up update
  • December 3 3 PM Chihuahua Palace
  • Maintenance
    • Makaha
      • Seat one needs to be repaired
      • Virginia needs to be repaired entirely, after ADR
  • Trailer
    • Need to buy a spare tire
  • Dlily
    • Kui needs to put it together
  • Skirts/boat covers
    • Ilona will make at Kui’s house with Unko’s sewing machine
    • MOTION~$600
  • Iakos
    • Unko needs to scope them out in Hawaii and order them
    • Or Oceanside
  • SCORA & New Members
    • Waivers? Dues?
    • Any new members can get free membership if they sign up for ironman vliunteering
    • Changes in relation to SCORA?
    • Categories of teams from novice to ultra
    • Example: Slower teams start at 8AM, ultra teams start at 10 AM, depending on competitiveness
  • Money
    • Money coming in
      • Fund raising
      • Lei stand at SeaFest
      • Lei stand at ADR
      • Breakfast at ADR
      • Kui needs a coffee jug?
      • Trip raffle – Merrily
    • Money going out
      • Maui Nui -$1000 donation to the race?
      • June is the cut off in order for the race to happen
      • Blend Maui Nui, Uncle Kemo, & Team Arizona in to one design
      • Make flyers
      • Offshore purchase –
  • Sponsorship Representatives?
    • Merrilee is the new rep for fundraising
    • Big raffles
    • $4413 in the bank
  • Future of TAZ
    • Change Bylaws
    • Next Meeting
    • All board members can run for president, after one year
    • Other laws to be updated
    • New board
    • Ask members who wants to run
    • Year-long schedule
    • Monthly Saguaro trip
    • More ocean practice
    • Perpetuate more Hawaiian culture within the club
    • Make paddling more meaningful
    • We need to bring TAZ back to traditional ways
  • Next Board Meeting: October 17, 6:30

Board Meeting: 6/5/2017

Taz Meeting in Attendance 6/5/2017: Laurissa, Stacia, Diana, Kui, Andy, Carlos, Dee

 

  • MONEY
    • $7000
    • $2000 donation coming in later from Aunty & McKesson dollar for dollar
    • $1700 trailer repairs
    • 160 Leis need to be delivered, hopefully by Ironman champs
      • Need help with making leis
      • Making bags for quick making
      • June 17
    • Diana: $150 booth for Iron champs, over $600 made from Crystal Pier
    • Make candy leis
    • Andy: $150 made off of the Not Vodka bottles, add to website?
    • MOTION: BUY Tires needed for the trailer
      • $150- Per tire

 

  • Boat Maintenance
    • Kui: Ka Ikena has a major hole under seat 5 from transportation
      • Sand & fiberglass needed
      • June 8 repair
    • Might need to reserve canoes for Iron Champs

 

  • Coach & Race
    • Personal goals to head coach
      • Give coach a schedule so he knows for practice for Iron Champs
    • Checkout Cali Paddler podcast for coaching and inspirational talks
    • Ironman race for now
    • Lake Havasu or ocean big paddle in the middle of July
    • MOTION: Make a set schedule for each individual race for racers
      • Organized TAZ schedule per race
      • Print out race packet for TAZ novice

 

  • Next Meeting
    • July 5th Hula’s Modern Tiki